Senior & Disabled Tax Relief
This program is for any person who owns and occupies property in the Town of Madison as a primary residence may be entitled to tax relief for the elderly and totally disabled if they meet the qualifications of the program.
- Property owner/occupant is 65 years or older at the end of the previous year.
- Property owner's spouse living with them who is 65 years or older at the end of the previous year.
- Under 65 and eligible in accordance with federal regulations to receive permanent total disability benefit under Social security, Railroad retirement and any government disability retirement plan.
- Surviving spouse of previously eligible owner, 60 years of age or older.
- Must have resided in and paid the property taxes in the Town of Madison for one year prior to application.
- Real property is house and house lot in Madison for which relief is claimed and it must be the legal domicile occupied for 250 days or more per year.
- Spouse of homeowner living in a nursing home on a permanent basis who is 60 years of age or older.
- Joint ownership tax relief will be proportional to the legal interest in the property.
- Applicant with life tenancy and/or property in trust is eligible if legally responsible for payment of property taxes.
- Qualifying income is the same as for the State of Connecticut program of tax credit for the elderly and totally disabled and includes total Social Security, General Assistance, Veterans Pensions and Disability, etc.
- Maximum income is $63,660
- Qualifying resident of between one and four consecutive years with income up to $63,660 may be eligible for $100 in tax relief.
- Qualifying resident of five or more consecutive years may be eligible for tax relief as follows:
|$18,778 and under
|$18,779 - $38,199
|$38,200 - $50,931
|$50,932 - $63,660
- Must complete application form for the state's Elderly and Totally Disabled Homeowners tax credit program.
- Must complete Town of Madison addendum for determination of Madison's Tax Relief.
- Apply between February 1 and May 15 every other year.
- Program Administrator is Madison Senior Services and appointments can be made by calling 245-5687.
- Documentation required to authenticate income; such as federal income tax return or for those not filing a return other evidence of qualifying income.