TOWN OF MADISON NOTICE OF JANUARY 26, 2017 ANNUAL TOWN MEETING
NOTICE OF FEBRUARY 7, 2017 REFERENDUM
An annual town meeting of the electors and citizens qualified to vote in town meetings of the Town of Madison, Connecticut, will be held at Walter C. Polson Middle School, 302 Green Hill Road in Madison, Connecticut, on Thursday, January 26, 2017, at 7:00 P.M. for the following purposes:
1. Review State of the Town Report
2. Review Five-Year Capital Plan
3. To receive the Annual Report of the permanent Boards, Commissions, Agencies, Committees and the Town’s Auditor Report in accordance with Article II, Section 220.127.116.11 of the Town Charter.
4. To consider and take action to enact the proposed Town Ordinance Section 20-11. Property tax relief; Senior Tax Freeze Program for Certain Elderly and/or Disabled Homeowners as approved by the Board of Selectmen on December 19, 2016.
5. To consider a resolution,
(a) to appropriate $9,100,000 for costs related to a $9,000,000 grant to the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library, a non-profit corporation which is undertaking additions to and renovation and improvements of the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library situated at the intersection of Boston Post Road and Wall Street in Madison, and the furnishing and equipping thereof and related site and other improvements with respect thereto, contemplated to include: renovation of the current 17,144 square foot building, construction of a 20,000 square foot addition, site work including but not limited to upgrading the current Boston Post Road walkways and the addition of an approximately 47-car on-site parking lot, the relocation of one building on the site and the demolition of the duplex located on the site. No portion of the appropriation shall be applied to make grant payments to the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library until such time as the Town has entered into a grant agreement or other public-private cooperation agreement with the Library for the purposes of implementing said project and ensuring that the library facilities remain a free, public library serving the Town for not less than the period that bonds or notes authorized pursuant to this resolution remain outstanding, which agreement the Board of Selectman is hereby authorized to enter on behalf of the Town. The portion of the appropriation in excess of the amount of the grant made to the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library may be used for net interest on temporary borrowing and other financing costs, legal expenses and other costs related to the provision of the grant and the entrance into an agreement or agreements with the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library. The estimated total cost of the additions to and renovation and improvements of the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library is $15,000,000, the balance of the cost above the Town’s grant anticipated to be funded by additional grants and fundraising proceeds to be obtained by the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library;
(b) to authorize the issue of bonds or notes and temporary notes of the Town in an amount not to exceed $9,100,000; and to authorize the First Selectman and the Director of Finance to determine the amount, date, interest rates, maturities, redemption provisions, form and other particulars of the bonds or notes;
(c) to declare under Federal Income Tax Regulation Section 1.150-2 the Town’s official intent that project costs may be paid from temporary advances of available funds and that the Town reasonably expects to reimburse any such advances from the proceeds of borrowings in an aggregate principal amount not in excess of the amount of borrowing authorized for the project; and to authorize the First Selectman and the Director of Finance to amend such declaration of official intent as they deem necessary or advisable and to bind the Town pursuant to such representations and covenants as they deem necessary or advisable in order to maintain the continued exemption from federal income taxation of interest on the bonds or notes authorized by the resolution if issued on a tax-exempt basis, including covenants to pay rebates of investment earnings to the United States in future years, and to make representations and enter into written agreements for the benefit of holders of the bonds or notes to provide secondary market disclosure information, which agreements may include such terms as they deem advisable or appropriate in order to comply with applicable laws or rules pertaining to the sale or purchase of such bonds or notes; and
(d) to authorize the Board of Selectmen, the First Selectman, the Director of Finance, and other proper officers and officials of the Town to take any other action which is necessary or desirable to enable the Town to implement said project and to issue bonds or notes to finance the aforesaid appropriation.
6. Pursuant to Section 7-7 of the General Statutes of Connecticut, Revision of 1958, as amended, to adjourn said town meeting at its conclusion and to submit the aforesaid resolution to be considered under item 1 of this notice to referendum vote on Tuesday, February 7, 2017, between the hours of 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. Electors residing in the First Voting District shall vote at the Madison Senior Center, 29 Bradley Road in Madison, Connecticut. Electors residing in the Second Voting District shall vote at the Brown Middle School, 980 Durham Road in Madison, Connecticut. Voters qualified to vote at town meeting who are not electors shall vote at the polling place in their respective voting district, Connecticut. Absentee ballots will be available from the Town Clerk’s office at the Madison Town Campus, and will be counted centrally at the Madison Town Campus. The aforesaid resolution will be placed on the ballots under the following heading, respectively:
“SHALL THE TOWN OF MADISON APPROPRIATE $9,100,000 FOR COSTS RELATED TO A $9,000,000 GRANT TO THE E.C. SCRANTON MEMORIAL LIBRARY FOR ADDITIONS, RENOVATIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE LIBRARY BUILDING, AND AUTHORIZE THE ISSUE OF BONDS AND NOTES TO FINANCE THE APPROPRIATION?”
Voters approving the resolution will vote “Yes” and those opposing said resolution will vote “No.”
Dated at Madison, Connecticut, this nineteenth day of December, 2016.