Food Service Establishments

The Health Department provides all services required by the Connecticut General Statutes and enforces both Connecticut State Regulations and Local Ordinances.

QFO Form
FSE min req
Food Emp Training
Plan Review Application
QFO exams
Temp Event App

Food Service Definitions

Food Service Establishment – A business where food is prepared and intended for individual portion service and includes the site at which individual portions are provided; and any such place regardless of whether consumption is on or off the premises and regardless of whether there is a charge for the food.

Catering Food Service Establishment - A business involved in the sale or distribution of food and drink prepared in bulk in one geographic location for service in individual portions at another or which involves preparation and service of food on public or private premises not under the ownership or control of the operator of such services.

Itinerant Food Vending Establishment - A food vending business serving food or drink from any establishment or conveyance without a fixed location and with a connection to a water supply and sewage disposal system. 

Farmers' Market Vendor Food Service - means a cooperative or nonprofit enterprise or association that consistently occupies a given site throughout the season or that occupies a given site for any given day or event and that operates principally as a common marketplace for a group of farmers, at least two of whom are selling Connecticut-grown fresh produce, to sell Connecticut-grown farm products. 

Temporary Food Service - Food that is offered to the public at temporary events such as festivals, fairs, and special events. 

Food Establishment Minimum Requirements

Please be advised that this is a GENERIC listing of minimum requirements for a food facility.  A facility layout and plan review is required PRIOR to construction.  For additional information, please refer to the CT DPH website for Food Regulations 19-13-B42.

  1. Toilet facilities: required for all food establishments, including retail operations.  However, if seating is offered you must provide separate facilities for male/female if 16 or more seats are proposed (must be handicap accessible).
  2. Separate hand sink required in all areas of food preparation, dispensing and warewashing areas.
  3. Dishwashing:  3 bay with 2 drainboards; or 1 drain 24" drain board with wire rack; commercial machine with sanitizing cycle.
  4. All equipment must be commercial grade.
  5. Al areas in food preparation, toilets and warewashing must be non-absorbent, easily cleanable, smooth and durable.
  6. Qualified Food Operator required for service of all HOT food items (CLASS 3 & 4).
  7. Separate food prep with indirect drain line for all facilities preparing large volumes of food.
  8. A grease trap is required for all establishments preparing/serving food.
  9. A separate Baking License is required for ALL types of bread and cake mixing, including pizza dough.  Contact the CT Dept of Consumer Protection at (860) 713-6160 for more information.
Please consult with Health Department staff for any specific facility needs.