Library Expansion Building Committee (Ad Hoc)
In order to assist Scranton with the implementation of the Library Expansion Project, following an affirmative Library Referendum vote, the Board of Selectmen of the Town shall establish a Building Committee (the “Library Expansion Building Committee”) consisting of voters of the Town of Madison. The Board of Selectmen shall determine the number of and shall appoint the members of the Library Expansion Building Committee, which members shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of Selectmen. The Library Expansion Building Committee shall exercise such responsibilities and duties with respect to the Library Expansion Project consistent with its charge from the Board of Selectmen. It is anticipated that the Library Expansion Building Committee will, without limitation:
- Review the Architect’s design documents to evaluate, refine and update cost estimates and verify that the plans fulfill the purpose of the Library Expansion Project in a reasonable manner.
- Assist Scranton and the Architect in the creation of the construction bid package and in the determination of a list of eligible bidders to be invited to bid.
- Working jointly with Scranton and the Architect, evaluate all construction bids received and pursue any required bid clarifications.
- Meet with the Architect, general contractor or construction manager as needed. The Library Expansion Building Committee shall approve the final plans, specifications, bid documents and contract documents for the Library Expansion Project.
- Following determination of the winning bid, create a schedule of estimated payments due in the Pre-Construction Period and in each subsequent Quarter, allocated as to Town Share and Library Share, as contemplated in the second paragraph of this Article I.
- Require the Architect to make regular reports to the Library Expansion Building Committee, to permit monitoring of the status of construction and change orders, and to keep the Library Expansion Building Committee up-to-date on all material developments. If necessary, establish an oversight team to assure regular and knowledgeable in-the-field monitoring.
- Authorize the start of construction of the Library Expansion Project.
- Verify that all required permits are in place and verify compliance with all local, state, and federal laws.
- Monitor the construction process of the Library Expansion Project, including meetings with the Architect, project manager, construction contractor, subcontractors, and/or any other necessary parties.
- Establish liaisons and/or other means of communication to keep the Board of Selectmen and Scranton up-to-date on developments with respect to the Library Expansion Project.
- Consider and act promptly on change orders, making certain that any increase in the cost involved in any change order is within the amount appropriated for the Library Expansion Project.
- Monitor the preparation by the Architect of a list of items (punch list) which are not fully completed or which require further attention when the Architect has certified that the building is substantially complete. The Library Expansion Building Committee shall accept the building as substantially complete and make certain that the punch list items are completed promptly and properly.
- Review the certification of compliance by the Architect that construction has been completed in compliance with contract documents and review the list of items that are not yet satisfactorily completed.
- Review, approve and refer to Scranton for the payment, invoices with respect to the implementation of the Library Expansion Project.
- Determine whether funds should be withheld from any payment request pending completion of any unfinished work or for any other appropriate reason, and approve the release of such funds when appropriate.
Necessary expenses of the Library Expansion Building Committee shall be included in the cost of the Library Expansion Project. The records of the Library Expansion Building Committee shall be filed with the Madison Town Clerk and shall be made available for public inspection in a manner consistent with the requirements of the State of Connecticut Freedom of Information laws. Upon completion of the project, the Library Expansion Building Committee shall make a complete report to the Board of Selectmen and Scranton.
Governance of the Library Expansion Building Committee:
Members of the Library Expansion Building Committee shall establish rules for governance of the Committee, subject to the following provisions:
- The Committee at its first meeting shall elect a Chairperson.
- Provision shall be made for electronic and telephone voting, to the extent permitted by the State of Connecticut Freedom of Information Act.
- The necessary quorum to conduct regular business shall be 60% of Committee members.
- In the event of a tie vote regarding regular Committee business, the Chairperson shall be empowered to break the tie.
- With regard to the following matters, an affirmative vote of a super majority equal to 80% of the Committee members shall be required:
- Replacement of the Architect for the Library Expansion Project.
- Any decision to expand or contract the physical size of the Library Expansion by more than 10%.
- Any decision to increase or reduce the budgeted cost of the Library Expansion Project by more than 10%.
- Any decision to alter the design of the Library Expansion Project that, in the reasonable opinion of any member of the Committee, would result in a material degradation of the ability of the Library to provide anticipated library services.