Local, State & Federal Assistance
Madison Youth and Family Services assists citizens in need with various local and state assistance programs, help applying for financial assistance, transportation, food, utility and adult counseling needs.
Many of the following programs are provided through the generosity of community organizations, state and local agencies, local churches and individuals.
Community Renewal Team (CRT) Energy Assistance Program - This program helps to subsidize your winter heating expense, for any form of heating. Please be aware that there are required documents necessary to complete your application and that there are income guidelines based on the number of individuals in your household;
Once you have all your documentation together give me a call to set up an appointment. Please keep in mind that if you heat with oil or propane, you will not be able to get a delivery until after November 14th so plan accordingly. Applying for the Energy Assistance Program ends on May 1, 2019.
|Number of Persons||Maximum Annual Income|
Local Social Services Programs
The “Warm the Children” program that is organized and distributed by the Madison Rotary Club helps to provide winter clothing for your children. Not just coats and boots, but warmer clothing, P.J’s, jeans, sweaters, etc.
The Holiday Basket program is provided by Madison Community Services. Madison Community Services is an all-volunteer organization committed to providing the makings for a Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter meal. In addition they operate the Madison Food Pantry on Tuesday evenings for those who work and can’t get to the pantry on Wednesdays from 11:00 to 3:00. You only need proof of residency to utilize the pantry.
With the assistance of Neighbor to Neighbor and First Congregational Church we will also reestablish the live 6 ft. Christmas tree distribution program. We anticipate the trees being available the first weekend in December.
The Madison Police Department holiday gifts and toys program provide for children through their Toy Program. MPD will contact you with a day and time to go to the department and shop for the items you’d like for your children.
Your community and I have been very busy trying to bring you services. If you know of someone who might benefit from any of these please let them know I would be happy to discuss these programs with them.
For further information or to request an appointment please contact Wendy Larson at 203-245-5655.
If you are age 65 or over, please contact Heather Noblin at 203-245-5687.
Annual Assistance Programs
The annual assistance programs available to qualified individuals and families are:
- State Energy Assistance - November through April.
- State Rent Rebate Program - Begins in May.
- Local Food Pantry - provided by Madison Community Services (MCS) 203-245-3031.
- Warm The Children - provides warm clothing for needy children, sponsored by the Rotary Club.
- Back to School - program helps to provide school supplies necessary at the start of the new school year. Madison Youth and Family Services Community Service Trainees help to raise funds along with assistance from Temple Beth Tikvah, MCS and Salvation Army.
- Holiday Food Baskets - Madison Community Services provides food for individuals and families for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Baskets.
- Madison Police Toy Drive - Madison Police Services gathers and distributes to families with children in need of toys for Christmas.
- Book Donation - Friends of Scranton Library donates new or gently used books that are distributed with the Holiday Baskets.
- Campership Scholarship - Donations from Madison Community Services, the Madison Foundations Neighbor 2 Neighbor, and Exchange Club provide camp scholarships to enrich the lives of Madison children. If you have questions or need assistance please contact Wendy Larson, Social Services Coordinator at 203-245-5655, or by email.
In addition to the Annual Programs there are several programs that are available on an "as-needed" basis. The following are some local, state and federal programs:
- SAGA Applications - State Administered General Assistance. A state program to help with Medical, SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and Cash Assistance
- SSD - Social Security Disability Applications
- SSI - Social Security State Assistance Applications
- State Insurance Applications - Ad (Affordable Care Act) "Access Health"
- Eye Exams and Glasses through the local Lions Club
- Local Relief Assistance