Motor Vehicles

The motor vehicle bill covers the period from October 1 to September 30.

Your car is on the Grand List because CT DMV records show that it was registered in Madison.


  1. A PLATE RECEIPT from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) indicating that the vehicle’s registration has been cancelled, or that the vehicles registration plates have been lost or stolen.  
  2. IN ADDITION TO THE PLATE RECEIPT one of the following documents is required. All documentation must be dated and include your name, address and the motor vehicle’s year, make, model and VIN.
    1. Sold to Private Party – An authoritative copy of the Bill of Sale together with copies of front & back of title showing transfer; or letter from insurance company/agent showing date of sale and identifying vehicle (car year, make, model & VIN) and stating vehicle was sold. (*see below).
    2. Sold to Dealer/ Trade-In Vehicle – A copy of the purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle (year, make, model, VIN). (*see below)
    3. Registered Out of State – If you have relocated to another state, a copy of the registration showing the date first registered outside of Connecticut.
    4. Totally Destroyed or Stolen Vehicle – A statement from the insurance company identifying the vehicle (year, make, model, VIN) and stating it was stolen or deemed a total loss and not recovered or the date the insurance company took possession of the vehicle.
    5. Junked Vehicle – A statement/receipt from the junkyard identifying vehicle (year, make, model & VIN) and date of transfer/junked.
    6. Donated Vehicle – A statement from the charity identifying vehicle (year, make, model; VIN) and date donated. 
    7. Repossession – A statement from the repossession company identifying the vehicle (year, make, model, VIN) and date repossessed.
    8. Leased Vehicle – All adjustments for leased vehicles are the obligation of the leasing company (lessor) and you (lessee). Leased vehicles are owned by the leasing company which is responsible for all documentation and which will receive any credits or adjustments due.

*If you replaced the car being taxed with another car using the same marker plate, pay this bill.  The new car will be taxed next January as of the month it was registered. Credit for the old vehicle will be given on the January bill.

If you have any questions please call the Assessor’s office (203) 245-5652. Documentation can be faxed to (203) 245-5639 or mailed to:

Town of Madison
Assessor’s Office
8 Campus Drive
Madison, CT 06443