The motor vehicle bill covers the period from October 1 to September 30.
Your car is on the Grand List because CT DMV records show that it was registered in Madison.
IN ORDER TO PRORATE/REMOVE YOUR VEHICLE FROM THE CURRENT GRAND LIST YOU WILL NEED TO PROVIDE:
- A PLATE RECEIPT from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) indicating that the vehicle’s registration has been cancelled, or that the vehicles registration plates have been lost or stolen.
- IN ADDITION TO THE PLATE RECEIPT one of the following documents is required. All documentation must be dated and include your name, address and the motor vehicle’s year, make, model and VIN.
- Sold – A copy of the executed Bill of Sale.
- Trade-In Vehicle – A copy of the purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle.
- Registered Out of State – A copy of the registration showing the date the vehicle was first registered outside of Connecticut.
- Totaled – A statement from the insurance company identifying the vehicle (year, make, model and VIN) and stating it was deemed a total loss and the date the insurance company took possession of the vehicle.
- Stolen Vehicle – A statement from the insurance company identifying the vehicle (year, make, model and VIN) and stating it was stolen and not recovered.
- Junked Vehicle – A statement/receipt from the junkyard identifying the vehicle (year, make, model and VIN) and date of transfer/junked.
- Donated Vehicle – A statement from the charity identifying the vehicle (year, make, model and VIN) and date donated.
- Repossession – A statement from the repossession company identifying the vehicle (year, make, model and VIN) and date repossessed.
- Leased Vehicle – Please contact your Leasing Company. Leased vehicles are owned by the leasing company which is responsible for all documentation and which will receive any credits or adjustments due.
*If you replaced the car being taxed with another car using the same marker plate, pay this bill. The new car will be taxed next January as of the month it was registered. Credit for the old vehicle will be given on the January bill.
If you have any questions please call the Assessor’s office (203) 245-5652. Documentation can be faxed to (203) 245-5639 or mailed to:
Town of Madison
8 Campus Drive
Madison, CT 06443