Town Memo Regarding Dogs
Town of Madison, Connecticut, Department of Police Services
Please read - Important information for you
Thank you for Licensing/renewing your license for for your dog(s). We would like to remind you of the following Town Ordinances relative to dogs in the Town of Madison.
Section 5-2 Allowing dogs on property other than owners
- No owner or keeper of any dog shall allow such dog to be upon the land of another unless:
- The owner of the land has given the owner or keeper of the dog permision to have the dog so present;
- On public or quasi-public property the dog is properly on a leash of no more than ten (10) feet in length by the owner or keeper of the dog
- Owners and keepers of dogs shall be responsible for the immediate removal of any feces discharged by said dog when such discharge occurs off the owner's or keeper's property.
- Violation of this section will result in a fine in the amount of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for the first offense and fifty dollars ($50.00) for the second offense.
- The provisions of this section shall be enforced by the town Animal Control officer and the Department of Police Services.
Section 14-33 Violations of bylaws, rules, regulations
Any person who violates any of the bylaws, rules and regulations duly adopted by the Beach and Recreation Commission pursuant to the authority granted herein shall be guilty of a violation punishable as provided in section 1-11.
Section 14-55 Prohibited Activities
The following activites are prohibited at all public park and beach facilities within the town;
(19) Animals are allowed on leash, through the year at Bauer Park, Rockland Preserve, portions of Salt Meadow Park, parking areas of Surf Club, East Wharf, West Wharf, and on nature trails of the Surf Club.
At no time shall animals be allowed on any athletic field, beach or in a picnic area unless enrolled in a sponsored program by the town.
Section 1-11 General Penalty
(a) Whenever in the Code or any other oridnance of the town, or rule or regulation promulgated by any officer thereof under authority vested in him by law or ordinance, any act prohibited or is declared to be unlawful or an offense, or the doing of any act is required, or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, where no specific penalty is provided, the violation of such ordinance, rule or regulation shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100.00). Each day any such violation shall continue shall constitute a separate offense.
Thank you in advance for abiding by our Town Ordinances.
- Animal Control Officer
- Beach and Recreation Department
- Town Clerk's Office
- Department of Police Services