The following information and resources have been provided by Eversource:
Many Americans are coping with increasing prices, including rising energy bills. We know our customers count on us every day for the energy they need and recognize our role in keeping bills as low as possible as energy prices surge.
The cost of Standard Service (energy supply) changes twice a year in Connecticut for Eversource customers – on January 1 and July 1. Eversource has filed with the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA), the new cost of energy supply beginning January 1, 2023.
As you know, Eversource purchases energy supply to meet customers’ electric needs throughout the year. Eversource does not earn a profit on the cost of energy supply and charges customers only what the company pays in the energy market.
Beginning January 1, pending approval by PURA, the average residential Eversource electric customer using 700 kWh will see a 48% or $84.85 increase to their total bill. This increase does not apply to customers that receive energy supply from a third-party supplier. A customer’s total bill amount depends on their energy use, the type of rate they are on, and weather conditions.
The unprecedented increase is a result of record-high natural gas prices, primarily driven by the Russian and Ukraine conflict. This is especially impactful here in New England, where natural gas is used to generate much of the region’s electricity.
Programs to Help Customers
We recognize the financial burden this places on customers, who are already facing higher prices on everyday goods and services.
To help customers through this time, we offer programs to lessen the impact on their bill by helping better manage energy use and providing direct assistance to those in need. Customers are encouraged to:
- Sign up for Home Energy SolutionsSM for on-the-spot energy improvements and personalized recommendations for your home. Customers who heat with electricity are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this offer.
- Take advantage of our Heating Cost Calculator to see how adjustments to your thermostat can help them save energy.
- Enroll in Budget Billing to set up predictable monthly payments and even out bill spikes during heating and cooling seasons.
- Compare rates offered by other electric suppliers and choose the option that works best for them.
- Learn about special assistance programs to lower your monthly payments, forgive past due balances or spread payments out over time.
Learn More - Register for Webinar
Eversource is encouraging customers who are having difficulty paying their energy bills or want to learn more about what help is available to participate in one of its upcoming webinars – December 1st or 8th at noon. The webinar will include information about protection from service disconnection, programs to reduce unpaid balances with affordable monthly payments, extended payment plans and no-cost energy efficiency programs that can help lower energy usage. Advanced registration is required, and customers can sign up at Eversource.com/Billhelp. Customers can also call the energy company at 800-286-2828 to learn more about the assistance and programs available.
We encourage all customers to review our programs and ways to manage or get help with their bill at Eversource.com/winter-bill..
Connecticut Programs to Help with Electrical Costs
Winter Electric Bill Fact Sheet